Tuesday, December 29, 2009

New Year's Resolution - Gum Holder Tutorial

Hi everyone!! I hope you enjoyed a wonderful holiday with family and friends. Are you getting ready for 2010? I can barely believe that we're about to embark on a new decade!! It seems like yesterday when the whole world was worrying over Y2K. I've already thought about things I'd like to change in myself for the new year. At the top of that resolution list is to spend less time procrastinating. With that said, I figured that I'd get started now by working on Valentines' treats.

The following tutorial will show you how to make a fun gum slider. You'll need:
- package of gum (the type with the foil slider of gum - I used Eclipse)
- double-sided cardstock
- scoring tools
- Terrifically Tacky Tape
- Rubber Romance images (I used Cutie Pie Bird & You're Tweet sentiment)


First measure your gum package to determine how much cardstock is needed for the cover. With the Eclipse, the package was 4" x 2.5".

Using the dimensions, cut cardstock to size. I cut mine 4" x 5.75" - to determine the long side, double the width (2.5) and add .75.

I have a Scor-Pal, but it doesn't always have the increments that I need. I find using a grid mat, T-square, and bone folder is super easy. For the Eclipse gum slider, I scored at .25", 2.75", 3", and 5.5".

After scoring, go back over with the bone folder and crease all scored lines.

This is what it should look like after you've creased all of the scored lines.

Add Terrifically Tacky Tape to one of the edges. I always use my bone folder to press the tape and make a secure bond. Do not adhere it to the other end yet.

Decorate the front of the gum slider. you can see that I added some paper piecing and a fun googily eye. Then remove the paper of the Terrifically Tacky Tape and adhere the two ends. Slide in your gum and Voila!!

Happy New Year and here's to keeping up with our resolutions!!

2 comments:

  1. Just adorable, you are way ahead of the game. Good job working on Valentine's day treats early!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So much fun Stephanie! Love this idea!!

    ReplyDelete