Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Holiday Ornament Tutorial

I love the holidays especially decorating for them. My favorite part of this is decorating the tree each year. I love to look through all my ornaments and remember who they came from or where I bought them or even when I made them. I love to give ornaments with my gifts, too. Very often I give gift cards, which I think people really love, but adding a hand made ornament really makes it a bit more special.
So, how would you like to learn how to turn this plain little tin into a Christmas Ornament? I found these little tins at Michaels' in the bridal favor section. They are quick and easy to transform into ornaments.

Pick an image to use. Here I chose the Martini Girl Rubber Romance ATC sized Diva. I stamped her on white cardstock. I found a punch that fit the dimensions of my tin and punched her out.

Use a small hole punch to put a hole through the tin, it punches very easily. Tie a bit of cord or twine through to make the hanger for your ornament.

Use red line adhesive to adhere ribbon to the edge of the lid. Add some ribbon to the hanger as well.

Color and decorate the image. I used Copic markers. I added a bit of sparkle to her eye shadow, lipstick and earrings with Copic Spica pens. I covered the martini glass with a glossy glaze pen and added a rhinestone "cherry".

Place some foam dimensionals into the tin. This will raise the image a bit so it doesn't look lost in the tin.

Add the image to the inside of the tin.

I added some pink dew drop embellishments to make it a shaker type ornament. They reminded me of the cherry in a cosmo. Put the lid on the tin, you may want to add some mini glue dots inside the lid if it doesn't seal tightly.

There you go! Now this is a perfect little gift for you cosmo loving friends. You can change up the images to make lots of variations. It is quick and easy and best of all made from the heart.

Thanks for stopping by today. Hope you will try these!

5 comments:

  1. wow, love these...will have to give them a try!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute idea- great tutorial-thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another great tut, Kathy. These a cute and easy to make ornaments- right up my alley! TFS :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this idea! I have the tins, now just have to find the time. I think I can do it before next Christmas. :)

    ReplyDelete